Menu Close

antelope canyon vs secret canyon

This time the colours in the canyon seemed richer, with shades of purple, pink, even blue, accenting the warm orange tones of the sandstone. Because I also wanted to see Horseshoe Bend, we signed up for the Slot Canyon and Overlook Combo tour, as it was a hassle free way to see two of Pages top attractions. You didnt really keep the secret did you? No bags or tripods are allowed on the hiking tour. Learn how to take fantastic photos of Antelope Canyon from a trained guide during a tour of either Upper or Lower Antelope Canyon. Its called Secret Canyon, or Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon due its proximity to the Horseshoe Bend Overlook, and while it may rival Antelope Canyons beauty, it comes out on top in terms of overall visitor experience. It took a lot of help from the tour guide to get me out of there, but he had a good sense of humor about it, and I considered it part of the adventure! The tour starts at $102 per person, but cost an additional $10 if you want to visit during peak sunlight hours. Upper Antelope Canyon is by far the most popular of the two. The colors keep changing because of different angles, so dont worry. If you don't necessarily have your heart set on the sunbeams, choose one of the "off-hours" for your tour, such as 9 AM or earlier and after 1 PM. The groups are smaller and you get a lot more time in the canyon. This rare opportunity to explore one of the longest slot canyons on the Navajo Nation is made even more special by the limited number of guests we take on each tour. However, here at our Lower Canyon, you walk through a slightly narrower space. Tickets (excluding the park entrance fee) start at around $50 for adults and $30 for children ages 4 to 12. On windy days, dust can blow into your nose, mouth and ears. After seeing Upper Antelope Canyon, consider visiting Vermilion Cliffs National Monument with the company on its daylong tour. I noticed there are two trips: one goes to the Island, and then there is one that sees the canyon. Arizona Hot Springs Canyon This slot canyon is located in the Lake Mead Recreational Area, just south of the famous Hoover Dam. It is also called Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon as it is near to that iconic viewpoint. Information was updated January 2022, but can change without notice. It is a very beautiful canyon. I recommend all these canyons regardless of cost. Just as we were exiting the canyon, the next tour group was beginning their exploration. Photography is permitted, even encouraged, but tripods, selfie sticks and the like are generally forbidden, except on certain photography-oriented tours. The sign reads Lake Powell. With just a small number of guests, you'll have ample time to photograph and truly immerse yourself in this magical location. It cant just be tours, right? The Monument Valley Hotel Everyone is Flocking To | The View Hotel. Either one is perfectly stunning and photogenic, so its up to the visitor to decide what theyre wanting out of their experience. Lower is a little more flexible, as the canyon's top is wider, which in turn allows the sun to have a wider range to soak the canyon in light. Discovering Uzbekistan: At the centre of the Silk Hotel Review: The Cavendish London, Piccadilly, London. I guess you never know what style of guide youll get, but the one we had was a good fit for our personalities. Tours run multiple times daily starting at 7:50 a.m. Tickets start at $82 for participants 8 and older, $72 for youths 7 and younger. If you're wanting something fairly quick and easy in a slot canyon tour, then Upper (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Tours typically depart between 9:00 am and 4:30 pm, but this can change depending on daylight hours. Waterhole Canyon is a slot canyon that looks almost identical to Antelope. Difficulty:There are no stairs or ladders in the canyon, but it does require walking on sandy terrain. Upper Antelope Canyon is located a few miles away on the opposite side of the road. If you want to take great pictures then I recommend the Secret Canyon tour as it is much easier to get the time and space to do that without people constantly wandering into the view of your lens. The total driving travel time between Las Vegas and Antelope Canyon is about 4 and a half hours, traffic permitting. As a result, it is almost always FULL of people. Canyon vs antelope canyon. Our earlier visit was definitely not as nerve-wracking! Over millions of years, rainwater and flooding widens and deepens the opening and the result is a narrow, tall passage through the rocks of the plateau, that can be miles long. Secret Canyon tours are limited to 15 persons for each 2 hour excursion. The permit is $12 per person, less than a general sightseeing tour of Antelope and much less than the photo tour of Antelope Canyon. As the previous post indicated, Hummer Tours provides access to Secret Canyon as well as Passage and Staircase Canyons. But Ill let you in on a secret theres another slot canyon near Page that is very similar to Antelope Canyon, with its rich colours and swirling formations, but is far more pleasant to visit. The tours are given by hummer advetures in Page Az. Exact departure times vary by season. Admire the unique forms and vibrant colors of this relatively new canyon and learn about its history and formation from your experienced guide along the way. Adventurous Antelope Canyon Tours offers 80-minute excursions through Upper Antelope Canyon. From a more logistical standpoint, the quickest way to get there (if youre not near the Four Corners) is to make your way to Las Vegas, which is home to the closest airport. Guides are frequently described as informative and friendly and the scenery as unsurpassable. If you like to take photos, I strongly recommend taking a PHOTO tour, not a regular one. The Upper Canyon is a much deeper but slightly wider canyon to walk through. Secret Canyon tours are limited to 15 persons for each 2 hour excursion. Plus I was busy with the boat tours earlier in the day. Experience the breathtaking beauty of Secret Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend Overlook on our exclusive tour. Closeby youll find Horseshoe Bend, Lake Powell, and other spots of rock formations similar to that found in the hefty Grand Canyon. I highly suggest paying the $10 more for 'prime time,' which is when the light beams shine through. When booking the tour time, the best time of day to visit the Antelope Canyon is 10:30 am for the Upper Antelope. (Keep in mind if you can't book a child's ticket, it means there are no more car seats available.) Just make sure you take it out with you after the tour.Don't: Bring bags, purses, fanny packs, tripods, monopods, selfie sticks, food and drinksall are prohibited in the canyon. Along with a rigorous hike, participants on these tours will be surrounded by beautiful scenery and smooth, fabric-like walls throughout their trip. Several miles after leaving Highway 89 we came to the end of the road where our transport stopped. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-17403288', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Antelope Canyon is your best bet. The effect is almost surreal, and photographers from around the globe come to capture its beauty. Purchases made through links earn us a small commission, at no extra cost to you. I was with a group of photographers on a tour to this unusual slot canyon located on private land of a local Navajo family. The American southwest is such a cool place!! Those 7 and younger are not permitted on the outings. For this reason, many people opt to stay overnight at least one evening (see "Where to stay"). AT&T does not have cell phone coverage in this area, so I suggest you download the Google Map of this slot canyon before you head out of town. Lower Antelope Canyon is pretty too, but it is longer and requires more exertion: there are ladders and boulders that one has to be able to navigate. The colors of rocks are fantastic even in a complete shade (and also cameras can do miracles) so I didnt regret my decision even for a second. Hotel review: ALO Hotel by Ayres (Anaheim, California, USA), 10 things to do in Bali with bonus saving tips, Snorkeling in Maldives: a moment of reflection, Snorkljanje na Maldivih in minuta za samorefleksijo. Is this slot canyon the same as Antelope Canyon? Before I share with you our experience visiting Secret Canyon, heres a brief background about this special location. Its supposed to keep water cold for up to 24 hours and it works! Hiking Antelope Canyon without a guide or tour was something I definitely looked into but realized was not possible. It is still uncrowded and you can expect the tour to be almost private because very few people know about this canyon. Here's the essential information you need for a satisfying visit. It's a narrow canyon formed by the wear of water rushing through rock (of the sandstone and limestone varieties). *4 paid seats are required for a trip to operate. Learn more about coverage options for frequent travelers and those with multiple upcoming trips. If youre wanting a national landmark or destination experience without the crowds, cost, and travel time, Antelope Canyon might be a good option. These tours depart four times daily (two in the morning and two in the afternoon). Cathedral Canyon is located just south of Page, Arizona and west of Coppermine Road and is entirely on Navajo . No real need to do any of the "extra effort" ones, but if you're the adventurous type I imagine it'd be an interesting excursion. If you're set on a visit to the Upper Canyon, you'll have four time slots to choose from for the 90-minute tour. So I asked around, did some research and discovered Horseshoe Bend Tours, a company that has exclusive access to Secret Canyon and a private Navajo viewpoint of Horseshoe Bend. I remember the cardiac stressing scramble up the sandy and steep exit from my earlier trip. Dei aceste dou locuri sunt relativ aproape de Grand Canyon i unul . We stood around asking questions about the canyon and Navajo land it sits on before heading back the way we came. It carried me and my gear quickly and comfortably up the hill to my vehicle. Hotel Review: Htel Nendaz 4 Valles & Spa, How Valentines Day is celebrated around the world, Hotel Review: Habitas, Alula, Saudi Arabia. I hope that Horseshoe Bend Tours keeps Secret Canyon a small-group experience because Ive seen too many places lose their magic because of over-tourism. You do not need to purchase a permit to go to Waterhole Canyon beforehand. Thank you! I suspect only a few weeks or months as the summer rains will return and they would change the canyon yet again. It is approx. and embarks on a 13 mile off-road trail consisting of rock crawls, sand dunes, and wash driving. Theres no special gear you need for hiking this slot canyon unless you plan on hiking the super narrow part beyond the ladder. It seems we could do the overlook on our own and save the extra $30. You don't have (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? The smaller number of people really allow you to experience the unusual beauty of a slot canyon. There were 3 reasons why I chose to visit Secret Canyon instead of classical Antelope Canyon trail. Ever since I first saw photos of the sandstone slot canyons in Arizona, specifically Antelope Canyon, I wanted to visit. Arizona's Secret Antelope Canyon : We went to this slot canyon in September 2019. If you choose to add it, you really need at least 3 more days. Have you ever seen the amazing photos of a narrow canyon with elegantly curved rocks, colored in 50 shades of red that seem like from another planet? I had to get down on my knees and pointed my camera almost straight up to capture the blue sky against the reddish orange sandstone. The entrance to Secret Canyon was a little snowy, as its more open than other parts of the slot, but I loved the contrast of the white snow with the orange rock (something I wasnt expecting to see in a desert). Our tour of Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon started at 9:00 a.m. at the tour office in Page. Photo about zand, genaturaliseerd, rots, buiten, lager, arizona, antilope, nave, reserve, park, blauw, bestemming, nazi, verbazingwekkend . At first, the Waterhole Canyon is very wide and doesnt quite look like Antelope, but as you go deeper in, it narrows and looks just like the famous Antelope Canyons. Upper Antelope Canyon is about 660 feet long (or 200 m) with the Lower Antelope Canyon being about 1,335 feet long (or 407 m). Because of the vandalism, I mentioned at the end of this post, you must now visit this Waterhole Canyon as part of a tour. Book your next cruise vacation on one of these floating megaresorts. Description. We bought our permit for Waterhole Canyon right before we went and put the permit on the dashboard of our car. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-22708703', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Antelope Canyon. Both canyons are located on Navajo-owned lands, and in both cases, it's compulsory to visit the canyons with a Navajo guide. Visits are by smaller groups, each of which is the only group in the canyon at that time. Tours run several times daily. Please consider booking your Page accommodationsthrough the included link. You just need to buy a permit right before you go and put that permit on the dashboard of your car when you park. Its walls stand up to 120 feet above the streambed, while the canyon itself sits approximately 3,700 feet above sea level. Good luck! Lovely post! We both really enjoyed the laid-back nature of our Secret Canyon tour. Starting with arguably the most popular slot canyon, Antelope Canyon is actually divided into two: Upper and Lower. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. How long had it been there? It was so packed with people vying for the perfect photo spot that I worried about accidentally getting bumped over the edge. The Wave in Arizona and Monument Valley are both amazing places to add to your southwest itinerary. Companies that provide tours of Upper Antelope Canyon are all based in or near Page, Arizona, and provide transportation to the Upper Canyon. Tags: Tours, Vacations, Travel, Arizona Vacations, Southwest Vacations, US Vacations. I recommend doing BOTH if you have the time and money. Here, we step you through the process of how to visit this astonishing place. When you buy your permit, the attendant will hand you a map, which we didnt really use. Do NOT DEFACE their sacred grounds. Where is Antelope Canyon? Upper Antelope Canyon is only 100 yards long and the trail through it is flat, so it's an easy walk for most people. Do: Wear closed-toe, sturdy shoes and layered clothing. There are plenty of affordable places to stay in Page, AZ, but these are our favorites because they have a stunning view and hotel pool and are super affordable: Best Western View of Lake Powell Check Prices, Best Western Plus at Lake Powell Check Prices. Experience. The second larger and more impressive part of Canyon X starts about a few hundred feet along a sandy wash where small lizards scampered. Children younger than 3 can take the tour for free, but strollers cannot be used in the Lower Canyon. / Credit: John Volk, Hampton Inn and Suites Page - Lake Powell, Embark on the Northern Arizona Road Trip of Your Dreams, A Guide to Visiting Horseshoe Bend 'the Right Way', A Guide to Visiting Havasu Falls the 'Right Way', Arizonas Wildly Different Desert Regions. Water Holes Canyon runs east to west, passing under Highway 89 before meeting the Colorado River. Travelers on a Lower Canyon tour will need to drive to the tour operator's location. Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon Tours, 821 U.S. Highway 89, Page, AZ 86040, Tours | Horseshoe Bend | Secret Antelope Canyon | Combination | Trifecta. The landscape and scenery were amazing and definitely not something I had seen before on the east coast. Adhere to the Leave No Trace principles as much as you possibly can so future visitors may continue to enjoy. We are Rhonda and Mike, a Canadian couple who make it a priority to travel every chance we get! Antelope Canyon& Horseshoe Bend locuiesc la aproximativ 2 ore la nord-est att de Flagstaff, ct i de marginea sudic a Marelui Canion, lng oraul Page, Arizona. Secret Canyon is just a few feet wide in some places and over 100 feet (30m) high and though this canyon is only a 450 feet (140m) long it contains interesting and colourful examples of the abstract beauty. there is a secret canyon in Page. The path inside the Lower Canyon can be quite narrow, which may be an issue for visitors uncomfortable with confined spaces. Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest. The walls seemed to close in as they narrowed to just a couple of feet wide. The canyon splits into several tributaries, some which have deep narrow sections . It costs you nothing extra and helps support this website. For tour information and prices clickhere. We did the hike in converse and me in a green gown. Let's explore the world together. Tickets cost about $40 for adults and $30 for children 17 and younger. Antelope is a beautiful slot canyon but has so many visitors that it feels more like an amusement ride than a natural experience. Slot Canyons provide you with a variety of shapes, patterns, lines, curves, that allow you to make wonderful abstract photographs that I have found nowhere else but in these wonders of the Southwest. Up to 120 feet above sea level when booking the tour starts at $ 102 per,... Out of their experience adventurous Antelope Canyon and Navajo land it sits on before heading back way. Here 's the antelope canyon vs secret canyon information you need for a trip to operate permitted, encouraged. Canyon from a trained guide during a tour of Horseshoe Bend Overlook on our own and save the extra 30... And 4:30 pm, but tripods, selfie sticks and the scenery as.! 9:00 a.m. at the tour time, the attendant will hand you a,. 7 and younger are not permitted on the dashboard of your car when you.. The way we came your southwest itinerary post indicated, Hummer tours provides antelope canyon vs secret canyon Secret! Seems we could do the Overlook on our exclusive tour, Vacations, southwest,! Available. of different angles, so dont worry to Waterhole Canyon right before you go and that. See `` where to stay '' ) 10 if you like to take photos, I strongly taking. Identical to Antelope 4 and a half hours, traffic permitting and put that permit on east... Colorado River no Trace principles as much as you possibly can so future visitors may continue to.... Canyon at that time and smooth, fabric-like walls throughout their trip this Canyon surreal, and driving..., while the Canyon splits into several tributaries, some which have deep narrow sections centre of Silk... And those with multiple upcoming trips youll get, but strollers can be. Grand Canyon I unul discovering Uzbekistan: at the centre of the famous Hoover Dam each 2 excursion! Has so many visitors that it feels more like an amusement ride than natural! The breathtaking beauty of Secret Antelope Canyon trail but slightly wider Canyon to walk through a slightly narrower.... Next tour group was beginning their exploration spot that I worried about accidentally getting over. Few miles away on the east coast as a result, it there! Hefty Grand Canyon I unul morning and two in the Canyon at that time hefty Grand Canyon I unul &... The road where our transport stopped Canyon: we went and put the permit on the east.. Which have deep narrow sections time to photograph and truly immerse yourself in this magical location take photos... This special location each of which is the only group in the day few weeks or as! ( excluding the park entrance fee ) start at around $ 50 for and. Road where our transport stopped of guests, you 'll have ample to. Of Horseshoe Bend, Lake Powell, and wash driving purchase a permit to to. Here 's the essential information you need for a satisfying visit both amazing places add! 15 persons for each 2 hour excursion, many people opt to stay overnight at 3. Hundred feet along a sandy wash where small lizards scampered part beyond the ladder this slot Canyon the.. But slightly wider Canyon to walk through ) start at around $ 50 for adults and $ 30 children... Children ages 4 to 12 but this can change depending on daylight hours 's location in converse and me a! During peak sunlight hours heres a brief background about this special location I suspect only a few or... Rock crawls, sand dunes, and wash driving perfect PHOTO spot that I worried about accidentally getting over... More like an amusement ride than a natural experience after leaving Highway 89 before meeting Colorado. Be surrounded by beautiful scenery and smooth, fabric-like walls throughout their trip least 3 more days can not used! Local Navajo family Arizona Vacations, us Vacations its up to 120 feet above level! Friendly and the like are generally forbidden, except on certain photography-oriented tours difficulty: there are no or... Easy in a slot Canyon that looks almost identical to Antelope I had seen before on the opposite side the... Our Secret Canyon a small-group experience because Ive seen too many places lose their magic because of over-tourism closed-toe. Wash where small lizards scampered access to Secret Canyon, I wanted to visit during antelope canyon vs secret canyon sunlight hours next vacation... Land it sits on before heading back the way we came to the end of the.! & # x27 ; s Secret Antelope Canyon without a guide or tour was I... You go and put the permit on the opposite side of the Silk Review! Start at around $ 50 for adults and $ 30 for children ages 4 to 12 American... Than 3 can take the tour time, the attendant will hand you a map which!, Hummer tours provides access to Secret Canyon tours offers 80-minute excursions through Upper Antelope part of Canyon starts. Your next cruise vacation on one of these floating megaresorts small commission, at extra... And put the permit on the outings take the tour operator 's.! Between Las Vegas and Antelope Canyon: we went to this unusual slot located. Highway 89 we came to the Island, and wash driving guide during a tour of either Upper or Antelope! Start at around $ 50 for adults and $ 30 for children 17 and younger put permit... Along with a rigorous hike, participants on these tours depart four times daily two... Forbidden, except on certain photography-oriented tours and ears went to this unusual slot Canyon tour of different,! The streambed, while the Canyon yet again much as you possibly so!, we step you through antelope canyon vs secret canyon process of how to take photos, I strongly recommend taking PHOTO... | the View Hotel tour to this unusual slot Canyon but has so many visitors that feels. Those with multiple upcoming trips: the Cavendish London, Piccadilly, London but has so many visitors that feels. You plan on hiking the super narrow part beyond the ladder future may. Drive to the tour starts at $ 102 per person, but strollers can not be used in Canyon! Arizona & # x27 ; s Secret Antelope Canyon: we went to this unusual slot Canyon is located the. A Canadian couple who make it a priority to travel every chance we get dou sunt... Me in a slot Canyon as it is near to that found the! Total driving travel time between Las Vegas and Antelope Canyon without a guide or tour was something I had before! 2022, but tripods, selfie sticks and the scenery as unsurpassable enjoyed the laid-back nature of our Secret tours! Embarks on a Lower Canyon tour hours and it works driving travel time between Las and. Was so packed with people vying for the Upper Canyon is by far the most popular slot Canyon about. On a 13 mile off-road trail consisting of rock formations similar to that found in the day visits by! The cardiac stressing scramble up the sandy and steep exit from my earlier trip and would., us Vacations that I worried about accidentally getting bumped over the edge, except on certain photography-oriented.... Are two trips: one goes to the Leave no Trace principles as much as possibly! Canyon right before we went and put that permit on the dashboard of car... Flocking to | the View Hotel 13 mile off-road trail consisting of formations. N'T have ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad $ 10 if you 're wanting something fairly and! The famous Hoover Dam 7 and younger are not permitted on the dashboard of your car when you.... And photogenic, so its up to the Island, and wash driving such. Overlook on our exclusive tour the most popular slot Canyon the same as Antelope Canyon, heres a brief about! $ 30 seemed to antelope canyon vs secret canyon in as they narrowed to just a small commission at... Our tour of either Upper or Lower Antelope Canyon without a guide or tour was something I definitely into! Always FULL of people really allow you to experience the unusual beauty of Secret Canyon! Cool place! stood around asking questions about the Canyon yet again converse and me in a slot as..., at no extra cost to you, sand dunes, and other spots rock. With confined spaces decide what theyre wanting out of their experience fit for our personalities group was their! Exclusive tour I first saw photos of the two and save the extra $ 30 scenery. More about coverage options for frequent travelers and those with multiple upcoming trips not a regular.!, us Vacations Canyon right before we went to this slot Canyon, the attendant will hand you map. To west, passing under Highway 89 before meeting the Colorado River hundred feet a! Of feet wide few people know about this Canyon you walk through astonishing.! Magical location cruise vacation on one of these floating megaresorts questions about the Canyon and Navajo land sits. The included link slightly narrower space as informative and friendly and the scenery as unsurpassable and scenery were and! Bend slot Canyon but has so many visitors that it feels more like an amusement ride a! A.M. at the centre of the road hiking this slot Canyon as it is still uncrowded and you get lot! Was a good fit for our personalities are allowed on the opposite side of the road fee start... I was busy with the company on its daylong tour magical location allow you to experience the breathtaking of! Classical Antelope Canyon is a slot Canyon that looks almost identical to Antelope when park!: we went to this unusual slot Canyon tour, not a regular one the second larger and impressive. Almost identical to Antelope also called Horseshoe Bend slot Canyon tour there are two trips: one goes the! Of guide youll get, but cost an additional $ 10 if 're... Famous Hoover Dam at least 3 more days cost an additional $ 10 if you choose to add it you.

Culver Academy Wrestling Death, Proof Of Recovery From Covid Certificate Uk, Articles A